簽到
發表於 2022-6-21 20:56:30 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式

登入後,內容更豐富

您需要 登錄 才可以下載或查看,沒有賬號?註冊

本帖最後由 cocteau 於 2022-6-21 20:57 編輯

ABC  ----- The Lexicon of Love

登錄/註冊後可看大圖
&nocache=1

40 years ago today (21 June 1982), ABC released their debut studio album “The Lexicon of Love” featuring singles “Tears Are Not Enough" "Poison Arrow" "The Look of Love" "All of My Heart" and "Valentine's Day". The album entered the UK Albums Chart at number 1 and remained on the charts for 50 weeks. It was the fourth biggest selling album in the UK in 1982.

From contemporary reviews, Mitchell Cohen of Creem declared the album to be a "piece of sumptuous kitsch" and that "the whole shebang is so florid, so exaggerated, so damned catchy – you want to hear "The Look of Love" a second time before it's even half over; it's a casserole of about forty different pop hits and advertising jingles – that you may feel guilty for falling for it." Don Waller of the Los Angeles Times praised the album, stating that producer Trevor Horn "deserves a share of the applause, but the songs — credited to all four ABC members — are the real deal: apocalyptic, widescreen romances with more hooks than a meat-packing plant." Waller proclaimed that "Tears Are Not Enough", "Poison Arrow" and "The Look of Love (Part I)" call out for "any one of a dozen contemorary black vocalists" stating that "ABC's biggest drawback is Martin Fry's singing, which borders on the effete." Ken Tucker of The Philadelphia Inquirer gave the album a one star out of five rating stating that the album was "prissy dance music, light on the beat and heavy on the sort of maundering crooning that the effete English rock musicians frequently mistake for passion."

登錄/註冊後可看大圖

From retrospective reviews, AllMusic wrote: "The production style was dense and noisy, but frequently beautiful, and the group's emotional songs gave it a depth and coherence later Horn works (...) would lack." "Fry and company used the sound to create moving dancefloor epics like "Many Happy Returns," which, like most of the album's tracks, deserved to be a hit single." In a review of the 2004 Deluxe Edition BBC stated that "The Lexicon of Love stands as a landmark album in British pop". Rob Webb wrote: "It underpins just what a sharp band ABC were: witty, lyrical and very, very funky (...) Each track is a love affair in miniature: some are touching ("All of My Heart", "Show Me"), others a bitter invective at misplaced passion ("Many Happy Returns"). There is more going on in "2 Gether 4 Ever" than many bands squeeze into an entire album (...) Dance music had rarely been so literate." Colin Larkin awarded the album 5 stars (outstanding) in The Encyclopedia of Popular Music stating: “Their pristine pop songs were nowhere better showcased than on the superb The Lexicon of Love. This Trevor Horn-produced album remains a benchmark of 80s pop, and a formidable collection of melodramatic love songs assembled in one neat package.”

Poison Arrow
以上影片乃youtube提供,與本站無關; 若無法觀看,可查看原網址

The Look Of Love

All Of My Heart

Valentine's Day

登錄/註冊後可看大圖
發表於 2022-6-21 23:29:42 | 顯示全部樓層
經典專輯
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具