註冊
查看: 5233|回覆: 28

[嘗酒] [轉]Even ordinary people can become wine expert

[複製鏈接]
簽到
發表於 2015-3-23 23:53:40 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式

登入後,內容更豐富

您需要 登錄 才可以下載或查看,沒有賬號?註冊

Fatloong remark: Interesting article, typical wine expert probably hate it, but it is the reality.  If you can follow the 10 suggestions, you could be an wine expert also.

http://www.hospitalitymagazine.c ... ne-expert-infograph

A recent study undertaken at the School of Psychology at the University of Sydney has looked into whether novices can become wine experts.  Dr Alex Russell has been investigating whether novices can become wine experts for the past seven years and has now completed a PhD on the subject.

“A lot of people think that wine experts are full of it but I’ve been investigating this area for the past seven years and it turns out there is a knack to it," says Russell.  Providing have you a ‘working nose and mouth”, Russell says that it's within the average Joe's reach to become a wine expert. Russell says that people tend to see improvements after a few hours, however to build that knowledge into expertise, people will need to invest a significant amount of time, money and dedication to the cause.

Informed by his research, Russell has come up with ten tips on how to become a wine expert.

1) Four hours to get started
"During my PhD, I had novices come into the lab to smell and taste lots of wines. In most cases, we had them in the lab for an hour and they didn’t learn much. But if they stayed just 30 minutes longer they started to show signs of improvement and after four hours, they were doing really well. They weren’t experts by any means, but it didn’t take them years to get the hang of it, either."

2) Drink different types of wine
"No expert became an expert by drinking only their favourite wine. Branch out, be willing to try new things. Try wine by the glass at bars and restaurants rather than buying a whole bottle. Try wines made from different grapes, from different regions and countries."

3) Taste wines side-by-side
"Odour memory is quite robust but, just like any other type of memory, it is prone to interference and forgetting. Instead of relying on your memory to compare the wine you’re drinking now to the one from last week, open up a few different bottles at the same time so you can directly compare them."

4) Shut your eyes
"The main skill of wine experts is consistently putting a name to an odour. Wines that smell like blackcurrant aren’t made from or with blackcurrant and they don’t look like blackcurrant. It’s hard to identify a smell when you can’t visually associate it with the obvious source. In fact these wines contain chemicals that, when isolated, smell very much like blackcurrant.

"So get a friend to go through your pantry and pick out various herbs and fruits. Smell and taste them with your eyes closed and try to identify them. Learn from feedback. It’s hard but you’ll improve over time."

5) If in doubt add your own flavours and smells
"Not sure what peach tastes like in a Chardonnay? Add a little bit of syrup from a can of peaches to your next glass. Then you’ll get an idea of what the flavour tastes like in wine. Gradually reduce the amount you put in until you can find that flavour without any additive. There are hundreds of possible odours coming out of a glass of wine including chocolate, green olive, eucalyptus and coffee!"

6) You’ll need to get your tongue around the wine and the words
"You might be a food or perfume expert but you’d still have to separately master wine and its associated lingo. Wine expertise is all about linking an odour or flavour with its recognised name. Experts share information using similar terms whereas novices generally can’t describe wines very well and don’t know many of the experts’ tasting terms."

7) You don’t need a supernose or mouth…
"Many studies show no difference between the smelling sensitivity of novices or experts. Essentially, experts smell and taste the same things novices do, but they’re better at processing the information. Similarly, chess experts can look at the same board as novices but will determine which pieces are immediately relevant more quickly – it’s a processing advantage."

8) You can start with cheap wine, but cleanskins won’t make you an expert
Although price isn't the best indicator of quality (which is fairly subjective), it is often the case that more expensive wines better reflect where they come from. And learning about wine regions is part of being an expert.

9) You’ll need to read, as well as taste
"Wine experts aren't just good at tasting wines. They also know a lot about how it’s made, where it’s made, and all the other things that you read in wine books."

10) Don’t give up if you make a mistake
"A lot of people avoid wine-tasting games because they are afraid to fail. But it’s OK to make mistakes.  A famous French experiment in which white wine was artificially coloured red with odorless dye wrong-footed lots of experts. It highlighted the impact of our thoughts and expectations on what we taste in a wine – it’s almost like they ‘drink the wine with their eyes’. Even experts can get it wrong but they more often get it right."
發表於 2015-3-24 01:55:49 | 顯示全部樓層
本帖最後由 htl 於 2015-3-24 01:57 編輯

well, i suppose those wine experts, incl RP, are ordinary people themselves. they achieve their status by the same process of learning and practising...blablaba....nothing extraordinary indeed.
however, besides the knowledge and practical ability on wines, i personally believe that in order to be an expert, one has to possess passion, not only on the wine itself, but culture!
i recall the days of my first french wine classes decades back, the final consensus of the classmates was: we're not tasting the wines, but the french culture. let me elaborate if i could in future.
well, the ability to appreciate wines could be acquired by any ordinary people. yet it is the extraordinaries who would indulge in the cultures that makes them different from the ordinary. so i would have my reservation over the topic
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具

舉報

發表於 2015-3-24 05:54:36 | 顯示全部樓層
飲多幾次會進步
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具

舉報

發表於 2015-3-24 07:33:19 | 顯示全部樓層
品酒好建議。
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具

舉報

發表於 2015-3-24 09:53:43 | 顯示全部樓層
當中蠻有很多硬道理
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具

舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-3-24 10:05:13 | 顯示全部樓層

I fully agreed with you that passion is an extremely important element, not just for wine but for any profession.  However, I don't see any conflict with this article... The main message of this article is that you don't need super nose or mouth (which RP claims that he had), as long as you work hard and do the right things (and got the money to spend), even an ordinary people can become a wine expert.

Obvious, it will be a painful process if that person does not have passion on wine.
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具

舉報

樓主| 發表於 2015-3-24 10:19:09 | 顯示全部樓層
祖C 發表於 2015-3-24 09:53
當中蠻有很多硬道理

I always recommend people to do single blind tasting i.e. have several bottles that have a same theme (usually same grape variety) but are different in certain areas for blind tasting.  Those who taste will know the wines involved but need to identify which is which.  This they can concentrate on the difference between similar wines.  Some good examples for these type of tastings are:

Chardonnay: basic Chablis, Cote de Beaune 1er, heavily oaked from a hot climate new world
Pinot Noir: Cote de Beaune/Nuits 1er, Central Otago, Napa/Carneros
Bordeaux: Same vintage GCC from St. Estephe, Pauillac, St. Julien, Margaux, and St. Emilion (same vintage is very important, and you will be surprised how many "expert" can get this all correct)
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具

舉報

發表於 2015-3-24 10:50:07 | 顯示全部樓層
知而行難呀!
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具

舉報

發表於 2015-3-24 10:51:26 | 顯示全部樓層
very good info  
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具

舉報

發表於 2015-3-24 12:06:06 | 顯示全部樓層
需要慢慢學 ~
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具

舉報

發表於 2015-3-24 12:08:30 | 顯示全部樓層
又學多D野啦
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具

舉報

發表於 2015-3-24 12:58:44 | 顯示全部樓層
Everyone can be an expert in anything if one do put his or her mind to it.
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具

舉報

發表於 2015-3-24 13:16:08 | 顯示全部樓層
飲酒容易品酒難
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具

舉報

發表於 2015-3-24 16:12:53 | 顯示全部樓層
好多有用的解說!!
回覆 讚好 不讚 使用道具

舉報

發表於 2015-3-24 18:39:43 | 顯示全部樓層
多訓練與磨練就會變成專家